Enjoy as a spread, a dip, as part of a meal, or with a snack platter.
You will need a hand blender, blender or food processor for this recipe.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 x garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- A few cumin seeds
- A handful of fresh coriander or basil leaves
- Juice of x 2 lemons
- Drain chickpeas.
- Roughly chop garlic.
- Fry chickpeas in a pan for about 15 minutes. You want them golden. Add half the garlic and cumin seeds for last few minutes.
- In a blender add rest of garlic and all other ingredients – except for olive oil - along with your golden fried chickpeas.
- Blend slowly, adding oil bit by bit.
- You want a thick and creamy consistency.
- Add more spices, oil, salt, pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with more oil, fresh herbs or nuts to taste.
You can make it as spicy or flavorful as you want
The spices and herbs in this recipe are only a guideline. You can also make it without spices and herbs.
Thanks to © Francois Huysamen